Saturday, January 9, 2010

Our Second Attempt: Fruit Fun

For attempt #2, they selected our dinner menu (mostly):

Louis's Alligator Cake (from Tiana's Cookbook, chosen by Livia)
Ingredients needed for the cake:  Bundt cake, white frosting, green food coloring, marshmallow, malt balls, gumdrops, M&Ms, white-yogurt covered pretzels
-I had to use Angel food cake and ditched the pretzels

Items new or re-introduced to Noelle:  Angel food cake
Items new to Livia:  none

Swirling Mermaid Smooties (from Mermaid Cookbook, chosen by Livia)

 Ingredients needed:  vanilla yogurt, banana, milk, fresh cherries, orange juice

Items new or re-introduced to Noelle:  cherries
Items new to Livia:  none (the combination is new though)


Fruit Salsa (from the Mermaid Cookbook, chosen by Noelle)
 Ingredients needed:  kiwi, Granny Smith apples, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, cranberries, strawberry preserves, lime zest
-I added blackberries to the mix



Items new or re-introduced to Noelle:  everything
Items new to Livia: kiwi, lime (she actually did start eating lime slices as I was working)


We needed a protein so I found a nice cranberry chicken recipe from All Recipes
Cranberry Chicken III (chosen by Amanda)
 Ingredients needed:  chicken, salt, pepper, jellied cranberries, corn syrup, lemon juice, melted butter, and dried rosemary
-I added parsley to the marinade



Items new or re-introduced to Noelle:  everything
Items new to Livia: jellied cranberries


---------------

The results:



Swirling Mermaid Smoothie

Noelle's Reactions: Noelle loved it.  I think this was her favorite part of the meal.  If I puree all of her fruits and veggies into smoothies, I may have success.

Livia's Reactions:  Livia was fascinated with the "swirl" of the drinks and liked this equally as much.

Mom's Reactions:  I thought it tasted great and was easy to make.  You just make two separate smoothies and pour them at the same time into a glass.  I'm still not a huge fan of smoothies (I'd rather have my fruit in its natural form) but I'll make these every meal if it gets Noelle to have a full serving of fruits.

Overall success:  Win-win

Fruit Salsa

Noelle's Reactions: This was the major challenge of the meal.  Noelle has a real problem with eating fruits.  She will eat apple sauce but cannot eat apples.  The only fruit she ever would eat is banana.  She was unable to get past a blueberry.  Noelle definitely does not like the texture of fruit.  So this definitely leads me to believe that smoothies are the way to go with her most nights; however, I won't stop trying to get her to try new things when it comes to her fruits.

Livia's Reactions:  Livia had a great time helping me make this salad and she loved eating it even more.

Mom's Reactions: I will absolutely make this again.... at least for Livia and myself. Highly recommend this recipe.

Overall success:  No Win - Win

Cranberry Chicken III + Brown Rice


Noelle's Reactions: Noelle really liked the chicken.  She's never been a fan of most meats and she liked this.  Of course, about four pieces in she got incredibly stubborn and didn't want to finish her meal.  She also enjoyed the brown rice that went along with it.

Livia's Reactions:  DEVOURED this.  She had two small chicken breasts to herself and two helpings of rice.

Mom's Reactions:  LOVED this as well.  I think this meal is something that I will make again for a larger crowd.  The chicken has just the right amount of sweet and went well with the fruit salsa.  I highly recommend trying the recipe.  I baked the chicken after browning it (rather than grilling) with the marinade on. 

Overall success:  Win - Win all around



Louis's Alligator Cake


Noelle's Reactions: Loved it of course.  It's all candy and sweet.


Livia's Reactions:  Livia lived this but not as much as Noelle.  She did like the fact that her tongue turned green after eating the icing.

Mom's Reactions:  The cake was cute, but I'm not a craft dessert person.  Much like Week 1's dessert, I found this kind to be a pain to make.  The kids loved it, though, so it was worth it.  I'd make it again. 


Overall success:  Win - Win all around

And that was our second experiment.  It's been pretty fun.  If I can find just one new thing each week Noelle likes, I consider this mission a success.


No comments:

Post a Comment